Monday, January 31, 2011

Unit Planning


So the semester is in full swing and I’m preparing to plan my unit. I have the privilege of teaching the geometry chapter for the last month of the semester. It includes angles, line and angle relationships, properties of circles, and finally classifying polygons and triangles. I am a little nervous about this chapter because there are so many new terms and it will be like shifting gears mentally, going from algebra to geometry. One idea I have mentioned to my CT is the use of a journal/notebook. Each student will be provided with a bound notebook where they will take notes on key terms, their reasoning and proof of example problems. They will be allowed to use this notebook on quizzes, which will be given about every other section, depending on where a good break in the material is. These quizzes will help me gauge their progress through the material and help me pace my lessons. My CT really only told me two things with regards to this unit (1) because it’s very different from what they are doing right now many of the struggling students will probably do well with that unit and (2) to have fun with it and include as many hands on activities as possible. This was very encouraging and she expressed a confidence in me and my abilities. I am so excited to tackle this material now and am thankful that my CT is giving me 2 to 3 lessons a week to gain practice in teaching,  classroom management, and writing lesson plans.  

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    I'll be interested to hear more about how you use journals in your unit. I am a firm believer that we talk (or write) our way to understanding. Getting learners to buy into this (especially in math) has not always been easy for me but I am committed to it.

    ReplyDelete