Today was the first day of the second week and I realized that I am already behind on updating you about my first week. So sorry about that. My first week was fantastic! The first day I was very nervous and anxious but tried to hide it because I’ve heard from somewhere that kids can smell fear. I doubt that its true but I did not want to test it. Most of that first day was spent observing classroom policy, their routines, how the teachers teaching style, and learning everyone’s names. The second day was spent in seminars at the College of Education. I thought all of my students were aware of this however, on Wednesday as I made my way to third period a young lady stopped me in the hall. She seemed distressed so I inquired as to what the problem was. She then promptly scolded me for being gone the previous day. I had told her that I would be there every day and then I wasn’t, how could I do that to her?! Was her response. I quickly apologized and assured her that I would be there the rest of the week and inform her about any other planned absences before I leave. As I walked away I couldn’t help but smile and feel terrified at the same time. I felt wanted by her just as much as I want to be with them, it was the greatest feeling, but at the same time I realized what kind of an impact I can have in these student’s lives. The remainder of the week went by much the same way as those first two days. Aside from having an overhead marker not simply “bleed” on me but pour its guts out it was a great week. This second week is beginning to look much better than the first with a routine set and names.. well, mostly known, and something exciting and unexpected occurring every minute. I can’t wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment