Last week I had my first observation from my College of Education (COE) supervisor. Overall, it went well. The students were participating and it appeared that 95% of them were engaged at any given time. Then, later this week I read the prologue and the first two chapters of The Teaching Gap by Stigler and Hiebert. In it, they discuss data collected from the Third International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS). In the past, this study has simply been a test that the students take so we can compare the educational system of multiple countries. However, this time they videotaped a representative sample of eight grade mathematics teachers in Germany, Japan, and the United States. In it they found that not only do our students perform at different levels but teachers use very different methods of teaching. This came as a shock to me because I hear of many different teaching methods (teacher-centered, learner-centered, discovery learning, traditional, etc.) but when I speak with people who put these into practice or observe them it all sounds like the same basic thing. The teacher has the knowledge, they convey that knowledge using their particular method, and then traditional instruction follows. So even those who claim they put discovery learning into practice they only do that maybe once a week, it is not at the heart of their teaching style. This book is so intriguing to me now because I greatly dislike the “traditional” or lecture method of teaching. The sad thing is that seems to be the method all teachers I observe seem to fall back on. I was not fond of it as a student and I dislike it even more as a teacher. It is boring! I can even see how almost painful it is for some of my students to pay attention. For the past two or three years, while progressing through the Mathematics Education program, many of my professors encourage us to use non-traditional methods but they do not tell us what they look like or what they even are. I would love to break away from the “boring math teacher” mold but how. I spoke with some wise professors at the start of this semester and shared with them some anxiety and fears I have for my journey to becoming a teacher. One of the greatest frustrations I have is becoming an effective teacher and doing things other than the traditional teaching method. Their advice for me was to take things in baby steps. It is ok if I do not know what I want my teaching to look like yet, instead I can identify things I do not want to be as a teacher and this will help me find a method I am comfortable with. They also told me that as a good teacher I will never stop learning and growing and sometimes in the growth process I will be wrong and make mistakes but that is OK. What matters is how I handle those mistakes and what lessons I take away from them. I have only made it through the second chapter so I do not know what these other teaching methods are but I hope to find a jumping off point in my pursuit in breaking the mold. I am very excited to find out and will definitely share what I find.
Sarah, keep going! You are making more progress than you know!
ReplyDeleteI believe that many teachers resort to lecturing because it requires the least amount of preparation. Of course, another consideration is that teachers seem to favor the style in which they learn best. My preferred method of learning is lecture, however, I know as a teacher (especially teaching on a block schedule) one needs to vary their methods approximately every 15-20 minutes in order to maximize student attention and on task behaviors. The ease with which this concept comes is highly dependent upon the number of preps the teacher has. From a planning and preparation standpoint, if you are teaching one or two different classes it is much easier than if you are teaching five or six different classes.
ReplyDeleteAs far as "non-traditional" methods go, I would recommend that you focus on what you want your students learn, what activiteis you want them to do, and how you want them to demonstrate what they have learned. You will find that this is easier to accomplish in science rather than math. In science you have built-in strategies such as lecture, labs, handling materials, field journals, etc.. Because I am not well versed in math, I'm not sure what your options are. You obviously have lecture, maybe you have manipulatives, and you have a resource in uncle Tim for additional ideas. You might try to find different ways for your students to apply some concepts to every day life, which would make math more meaningful and provide an incentive for them to remember.
In addition to finding innovative teaching methods, you will be faced with differentiation which may include giving students choices, and providing tiered activities and assignments based upon things such as: readiness, interest, and product. The ways in which you differentiate may naturally lead you to different teaching methods.
Remember, you also have whole-class (lecture), small group (3-4 students), pairs, and individual groupings, as well as having students teach each other via things like jigsawing and presenting to the class.
As your professors explained, it is good to be aware of the kind of teacher you don't want to be. You will try things that work well, and things that don't work so well - remember that it is ok to try new ideas, and then tweak them where needed...sometimes this means throwing them out and starting over. You are a life-long learner, seek out professional development and classes that not only interest you, but that help you become the best teacher you can be.
I know that you will be fabulous!